EXPO 2015 S.p.A
On 1st December 2008, fulfilling the commitments taken by Italy to the del Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) in presenting Milan’s candidature as the host city of the 2015 Universal exposition, Expo 2015 S.p.A. was set up. Its members are:
- The Italian government (Ministry for the Economy and Finance)
- The Lombardy region
- The Municipality of Milan
- The Province of Milan
- The Milan Chamber of Commerce
The board of directors consists of:
- Mrs. Diana Bracco, president representing the Milan Chamber of Commerce
- Mr. Giuseppe Sala, representing the Municipality of Milan;
- Mr. Leonardo Carioni, representing the Ministry for the Economy and Finance
- Mr. Fabio Marazzi, representing the Lombardy Region
- Mr. Carlo Secchi, representing the Province of Milan
The company’s headquarters are in Piazza Duomo 14, Milan and its business purpose is:
1. The realization, organization and management of “EXPO Milano 2015;
2. The realization, as the body which has been contracted to realize the Expo, of the preparative works and construction of the site which will host the event;
3. the infrastructure linking the site, the accommodation infrastructure (for example investments in works of a technological nature) and works related to and/or opportune for the realization of this event, taking into account the attributions provided for by the DPCM EXPO in favour of all the players other than the company involved in the realization of the event; the planning and execution of the works as in point 2) and the stipulation of the relative contracts;
4. the promotion of all the actions and initiatives necessary for the realization of the above-listed works; the management of completed works and of other works, assets and/or services instrumental to the realization of the event;
5. the operational management of EXPO Milano 2015, also by stipulating management contracts; support for the activities of cooperation for central and decentralized, bilateral and multilateral development;
6. the promotion, realization and activation of cooperation and development programmes and projects: co-financing of cooperation and development programmes and projects;
7. In general, the fulfillment of all the necessary and/or opportune actions necessary to fulfill the obligations to the BIE with regard to EXPO Milano 2015, including the obligations stated in the Candidature Dossier.
8. Expo 2015 S.p.A. is therefore responsible for the organization and management of Expo Milano 2015, as well as the realization of all the preparatory works and construction of the exposition site, the infrastructure and links between the site and the environs, accommodation and technological projects.
The theme of the Expo is “Feeding the planet, energy for life,” and intends promoting the development of concrete and effective answers to the complex problems of food and human nutrition both in terms of food safety (clean, healthy and safe food and water) and of food security (sufficient and easily accessible food for all the peoples of the world) in a framework of sustainable development.